Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Can I give my dog grapes?  We all know that grapes are amazing, tasty fruit, but are they safe for your canine? Today we find out the answer to this extremely important question!

can dog eat grapes

Quick answer: NO! If you thought the picture above looks cute, think again. Grapes are not acceptable for a dog, not under any circumstances!

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Grapes?

Grapes are among fruits that are most dangerous for dogs. They are very toxic for our furry-buddies, eating just a couple of grapes could result in kidney failure and in some cases even death! The reason for that is unknown, but if you’re planning on going on vacation to Italy, and visit some grape plantations, it would be best to leave your dog in a hotel room.

Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

Raisins are just dried grapes, and they are also very toxic for dogs. Some would say even more than grapes because they are more concentrated.

Symptoms That Your Dog Ate Some Grapes or Raisins

  • Appetite loss
  • Lethargy or weakness, loss of energy
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Stomach pain
  • Dehydration
  • Unusual thirst
  • Uncontrollable body shaking
  • Kidney failure

What to Do If Your Dog Accidentally Ate Grapes?

Call the vet immediately! He will probably suggest inducing vomiting, but do not try to do that if your dog had just vomited, or if he’s unconsciousness. If that’s the case, take him to a veterinary hospital right away.

Can Puppies Eat Grapes?

No, never! It could be even more fatal for them, then for the adult dogs to eat them. In fact, if you have smaller bread or a puppy, you need to be extra careful with where you leave your grape. 3 grapes on a 13-pound dog is not the same as 3 grapes on a 40-pound dog, more toxins will enter smaller dogs body. Still, we have to remember that GRAPE is POISONOUS for ALL DOGS, and it should be kept in a place where the dog can’t reach it!

My Dog Ate Grapes and He Was Fine

Well, your dog was lucky! Yes, there are some dogs that are not as affected to grape toxicity as others. But those cases are so rare and if you have suspected that your canine had some grape or raisins do not wait to see if he’s a medical miracle too, be responsible and call the vet. Dogs usually start to show the signs listed above within 24 hours after eating them.

How Many Grapes Can Dog Eat Safely?

Kind of like asking how much arsenic can you eat safely? The answer is absolutely none! Zero is the right amount of this delicious for humans but toxic for the dog’s fruit. How many grapes will it take for your dog to get sick is hard to say, it is different with every dog.  If it’s a smaller dog or a puppy, there is a possibility that he’ll be sick from eating just one grape. There are plenty of other healthy fruits that you can feed your dog safely.

How to Prevent This?

  • Make sure that grapes and raisins are out of dog’s reach because like we all know, dogs will eat almost anything!
  • Inform your family members of grape toxicity.
  • If you discover that your dog had some grape, take him to the vet to avoid any other complications.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Let’s go over some of the most FAQ. It’s important to take everything into consideration, not only to educate ourselves but other dog owners also.

What is the Nutritional Value* of the Grape?

We did not add nutritional value of a reason because not only that they are toxic for dogs, they are also loaded with sugar.
·         Around 61.6 calories.
·         2.7 grams of fat.
·         0.6 grams of amino acids..
·         14.9 grams of sugar.
·         22.1 mg. of omega-3 fatty acids.
·         72.7 mg of omega-6 fatty acids.
·         3.7 mg. of vitamin C.
·         0.2 mg. of vitamin E.
·         13.4 mcg. Of vitamin K.
·         0.3 mg of niacin.
·         0.1 mg. of vitamin B6
·         5.2 mg. of choline.
·         12.9 mg. of calcium.
·         0.3 mg. of iron.
·         4.6 mg. of magnesium.
·         9.2 mg. of phosphorus.
·         176 mg. of potassium
·         1.8 mg. of sodium.
·         74.8 grams of water
*Estimated by one cup or 92 grams.

What Dosage is Healthy?

None. If your dog eats enough grapes, he will have kidney failure and he could even die. So don’t take a chance with this one!

Are There Any Breeds Specifically Sensitive to Grapes?

Every breed is affected! It is not yet known why dogs react this way to grapes, but you should be aware that no dog is safe, even if you heard otherwise. If you’ve suspected that your dog had some grapes, call vet immediately.

What are the Symptoms** of Grape Poisoning?

Lactose intolerance is a common issue among dogs. Therefore, if your dog is showing any signs of:
·         Diarrhea.
·         Vomiting.
·         Abdominal Pain.
·         Loss of appetite.
·         Lethargy.
·         Dehydration.
·         Foul breath.
·         Tremors.
·         Seizures.
·         Liver failure.
·         Coma.
·         Death.
*These are the most common examples, please contact your local vet if you have noticed anything unusual, even if we didn’t list it above.

Conclusion: Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

We’ve said it multiple times throughout this article that dogs can’t have any grapes; it is not just unhealthy for them but highly toxic. If you want to keep your dog safe and sound, you will keep grapes and raisins on high surfaces, out of doggies reach. If you have a husband, wife or children, you will inform them about this condition and how serious it is for dogs to have any grapes.

Know Something We Don’t?

Hello dear reader! Did we forget to mention something important? Would you like to share with us your input and experiences? Awesome! Leave a comment down below and join the debate! Don’t forget to share this article with all the dog owners you know. Have a great day!


Leave a Comment